I am brand new to the Instant Pot family! A friend blessed us with this one during the Black Friday sales and we have really enjoyed playing with it. We are foodies and so many of the things that other people like to make in the Instant Pot we prefer to make on the stove top where we can control the process a little more. However, the Instant Pot has opened up a whole new world of pressure cooking to us that is very exciting.
Something that we do not usually make because it takes too long in the slow cooker is Chicken Tikka Masala. We love a good curry, however, and so this was a dish that we had to try. After reading a number of recipes on the internet, we combined them with what we know about flavor and developed this recipe to our taste. About one hour prep and cook time total, it wasn’t a fast dinner but it certainly was an easy and tasty one that we would not have otherwise made.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp Garam Marsala
2 tsp ground coriander
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
½ cup chicken broth
1 cup canned coconut milk
Juice of 1 lemon
Chopped fresh basil
-Serve over rice-
We made our jasmine rice according to the directions in the Instant Pot recipe book before starting this recipe.
Pressure cooked the chicken in sauce:
1. Select saute on your Instant Pot and turn to high heat.
2. Once pot is hot add olive oil, ginger, onion, and garlic.
3. Cook stirring until onion is translucent (about 2-3 minutes)
4. Select cancel; add all of the spices to the onion mixture scraping the bottom to form a paste.
5. Stir in tomatoes
6. Place chicken on top.
7. Pour chicken broth on top.
8. Secure the lid.
9. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. *Keep in mind that it will take several minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure. Plan for about 15 minutes.
Once cooking is complete:
1. Use a quick release.
2. Remove the lid, remove the chicken and chop the chicken.
3. Return chicken chunks to the Instant Pot.
4. Select saute and simmer for another 4-5 minutes.
5. Stir in coconut milk and lemon juice.
When the sauce has thickened, serve over a bowl of rice and add toppings.